New York Taxis
New program dispatches accessible taxis in New York City.
New York City isn’t really known for its ease in getting around town, and that can be even tougher for wheelchair users. However, a new service is looking to change that.
The New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC) has launched a new program providing wheelchair-accessible taxi dispatching services to New York City passengers. Accessible Dispatch provides on-demand transportation 24/7 and 365 days a year with no advance reservations necessary.
There are five ways to request a New York City wheelchair-accessible taxi:
- Call 311
- Call the dispatch center directly at 646-599-9999
- Text a request to 646-400-0789
- Use the mobile application Wheels on Wheels (WOW Taxi), powered by Taxi Magic and available free at the iTunes store
- Order online at nycaccessibledispatch.org
Key points of the service include:
- Wheelchair-accessible taxis will respond to trips originating in Manhattan and ending anywhere in the five boroughs, Westchester and Nassau counties, and the three regional airports.
- Passengers pay the normal metered taxi fare in New York City from the point of pickup to destination. There are no extra costs to passengers.
- Accessible vehicles in the fleet include rear- and side-entry minivans.
- When offered a trip, the taxi driver must accept it within two minutes and proceed directly to the pickup location.
- Accessible Dispatch will pay drivers directly for the “deadhead,” or travel time portion of their trips en route to scheduled pickups. These costs are funded through a fee paid by all New York City taxi medallion owners.
- All drivers who operate a wheelchair-accessible taxicab have been or will be trained in wheelchair assistance, boarding and deboarding protocols, disability awareness and passenger sensitivity.
For more information, visit facebook.com/AccessibleDispatch.
New York Taxis
(Register or login to add comments.)