Deer Hunt

Reprinted from PN April 2011

  • Mike McLaughlin, Kentucky-Indiana PVA sports director, had good help during a deer hunt in Indiana.

View Forum | Print Article | Font Size + / - | Back

November 13, 2010, was my first time to go deer hunting in the United States. I drove to Rainbow Lake, near Derby, Ind., where lake owner and operator Jeff Piper waited for me. [He allows Kentucky-Indiana Paralyzed Veterans of America (KIPVA) members to use the lake at no cost and has offered, in conjunction with BASS, fly-fishing and -tying classes.]

It was about 6:00 a.m. I was able to drive my van to the location Piper had chosen for me—an area above and behind one of the lakes. His blind was a little small, and it was hard for me to look out, but at least it was on a piece of plywood.

With a little help from his hunting companions, Mike McLaughlin boarded a tilt trailer en route to the hunting blind.

We saw plenty of signs that deer were around. About 10:00 a.m., I heard six shots in the distance. But I didn’t see a deer all day. Although I had brought a cooler with food and a Thermos bottle, about 3:00 p.m. I was done. It was starting to rain, so I drove home without getting a deer.

Three days later, I was invited to go deer hunting with KIPVA associate member Don Goins. My dad decided to get a hunting license and go with us. We drove to Shelby County to meet Goins and go to his son-in-law’s place, where there were a lot of deer.

It was raining that morning, also. Goins has a trailer that tilts, so with a little help from him and my dad, I was able to get on it, and he took us to the blind.

It was about 5:30 a.m. when we set up in the blind and waited for daylight. Just before dawn, my dad saw a deer on the ridge line but had not yet unpacked and loaded the rifle, so that one got away.

A buck came into the clearing where I was set up.

It had a 6–8-point rack. I missed with my first shot, and it looked straight at me as if to say, “What do you think you’re doing?” (I didn’t have a chance to get my rifle zeroed before going hunting.) I waited a couple of seconds and shot again—and, of course, I missed.

About 4:00 p.m., Goins took us out again, along with another son-in-law, who let me use his rifle. I was able to take a 150–175-pound buck at dusk.

Goins dressed the deer for me and hauled it to the meat processor. I will have jerky, hamburger, tenderloin, chops, a roast, and some summer sausage.

I would like to thank Goins, Bryan Temple, Grant Riggs, and John McLaughlin for allowing me to hunt there, and for their help in getting me safely to and from the deer blind. I really had a good time and would be interested in going again.

This story appeared in the January 2011 Kentucky-Indiana PVA Outreach and is used with permission.


To order the April 2011 PN, Click Here.
To Subscribe, Click Here.

Article Forum

PN Forum discussions are intended to provide a place for free-flowing exchange of information, opinions, and comments and are designed to provide an enjoyable and informative expression for all participants.
Please review our Forum Rules for complete details.

Login with username and password (Forgot Password?)
New Post

Deer Hunt


Be the first to comment on this article.
(Register or login to add comments.)